Friday, October 5, 2012

New England Foliage: Day 5


Along Route 9 en route to Kennebunk and Kennebunkport, Maine.


Notice the empty road along Route 9.


Lobster dinner at Barnacle Billy’s in Ogunquit, Maine.


More rain dampened the day. If the rain gods do not stop there will be some broken kneecaps handed out.
My wife and I spent most of the day at the outlets in Kittery with lunch at Bob’s Clam Hut on Route 1. There should be a law against fried clams this sweet. We have lunched here before and it is always crowded. 
I was able to get a few photos in the rain along Route 9 heading toward Kennebunk and Kennebunkport, Maine. Former president George and Barbara Bush still have a vacation home in Kennebunkport. They love dining at one of my family’s favorite spots — Barnacle Billy’s in Ogunquit’s Perkins Cove. George comes by boat and Barbara by car.
My wife and I walked there from the Beachmere Inn for our lobster dinner. A wood-burning fireplace, a cold Samuel Adams beer, one-and-a-quarter-pound lobster, a cup of clam chowder and a hot fudge sundae. Are you kidding me!
Route 9 was a hidden gem and as you can see from the photo there are no cars on the road. My advice when avoiding the leaf-peeping crowds is to find the small New England towns and then hit the backroads. You will see spectacular color while not having to fight the crowds of more popular fall foliage sites.
You will see foliage on both sides of the road as good as anywhere in New England when driving along Highway I-84 east of Hartford and on I-95 through Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Maine. Just watch out for tailgaters.

No comments: