Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 1: New Caledonia

I’m alive and kicking. Great adventure in the New Caledonia rain forest today. We were on a guided tour when I wandered off on my own to take pictures. I had a map but I left it back in my backpack along with my water. I followed the trail less traveled on my way back thinking it was a shortcut. I got to a trail head with a sign pointing left and right. I went left. If I had gone right, I would have been about 50 yards from camp. I kept taking different trails trying to find the high ground so that I could see the camp. Impossible in a rain forest. I got farther and farther away from camp and where we originally hiked. After about an hour they sent out a search party, including the other six members of our group who turned out to be very concerned about my being missing in action.
I walked down treacherous trails and back up again. In all, I probably walked about 12 miles. Very hot and humid. Sweating like a stuffed pig and dehydrated but no sense of urgency except I was holding everyone up for a trip to lunch (which we never did make). I called out a few times but I was too far away from the search team. I finally decided to retrace my steps. After about three more miles, I came to an open space where a jeep was parked and a rescue team member sitting in the driver’s seat. The word went out that I was found and I was raced along a winding, treacherous path at about 40 mph.
None of the group was upset with me. They were all concerned and happy to see me. Marybeth and Nancy had told everyone that I was in good shape and that I would find my way back. But everyone got really concerned after an hour. It took a little more than two hours to find me.
Great story; great for the blog but I think tomorrow I will stay with the group.

— Stan Wawer

No comments: