Monday, October 11, 2010

Finally, a brat

On the eighth day he shall find what he seeks. I don’t know who said it, but it has taken me eight days in Leipzig, Dresden and Leipzig again to finally eat my first bratwurst. I found a pushcart in Leipzig’s main shopping district and ordered a brat with horseradish mustard. Heaven!
I have been fed overcooked pork and beef, excellent fish and a variety of potatoes, but it wasn’t until today I had my first brat and first pretzel. I can’t say I had my first beer because that would be a big lie. The Germans can do a lot of things well and one of those things is brewing beer (bier).
One more day here in Leipzig, formerly a part of the German Democratic Republic. The city just celebrated the 21st anniversary of reunification.
Wednesday, I am off to Bavaria where I know I will have the opportunity to eat at least a brat a day and drink been from major-sized steins.

No comments: